Sponsored by the Insurance Regulatory Examiners Society (IRES) and the IRES Foundation, the Al Gross/Jim Long Rookie of the Year Scholarship is named after two long-serving insurance commissioners who passed away shortly after retiring from their positions: North Carolina Insurance Commissioner Jim Long and Virginia Commissioner of Insurance Al Gross. Both of these commissioners were dedicated to serving their constituents. In reading about these men, the same attributes came up again and again: dedicated, leader, innovator, mentor. Neither were afraid to get involved in difficult issues and find solutions that look outside the box. Both men were recognized and touted as exceptional leaders by their peers and those who worked for them.
The scholarship is awarded annually to four (4) state regulators (one in each zone) who have demonstrated exceptional promise, professionalism, and a commitment to continual improvement. Applications are accepted during the second half of the year; scholarships are awarded and must be used in the following year. Recipients receive waived registration fees and are reimbursed up to $1,000 in travel-related expenses for one of the following programs (held during the award year):
- Career Development Seminar and Regulatory Skills Workshop
- Market Conduct Management (MCM®) Designation Program
- IRES Foundation’s National School on Market Regulation
The ability to accept the scholarship may vary by state due to ethics consideration. As such, participation by states is voluntary.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be current state insurance department employees with less than two (2) years of service as of January 1 of the award year.
- Demonstrate exceptional promise and professionalism in representing their states as regulators.
- Seek to develop skills through completion of training programs provided by recognized insurance industry institutional programs, including, but not limited to, those provided by The Institutes (formerly AICPCU), The American College, LOMA, and the NAIC.
IRES membership is not required.
Applications must be submitted by February 28, 2017 for scholarships to be awarded later that year.
To apply, complete the online application. You will be required to upload a letter of recommendation from your commissioner, director, or superintendent (addressed to the Insurance Regulatory Examiners Society, 1611 County Rd B West, Ste 320, St. Paul, MN 55113).
For more information, please contact one of the following IRES Membership and Benefits Committee members:
- Membership and Benefits Committee Chair
- Awards and Recognition Subcommittee Chair
2016 (5th Annual)
- Courtney Bellmer
- Tyler Robison
- Andrew Stoughton
- Adam Boggess
2015 (4th Annual)
- Jack Engle, Illinois
- Tara Smith, Colorado
2014 (3rd Annual)
- Adrienne Bliss Monroe, Nevada (Western Zone)
- Rachel Chester, Rhode Island (Northeastern Zone)
- Ching Ting Huey, New York (At Large)
- Jody Ullman, Wisconsin (Midwestern Zone)
2013 (2nd Annual)
- LeAnn Crow, Kansas (Midwestern Zone)
- Desiree Mauller, West Virginia (Southwestern Zone)
- Ashok Viswanathan, California (Western Zone)
- Adam Zimmerman, Maryland (Northeastern Zone)
2012 (1st Annual)
- Ida Cullufi, Georgia (At Large)
- Arthur Dodd, Virginia (Southeastern Zone)
- Shelly Herzing, Missouri (Midwestern Zone)
- John Huh, California (Western Zone)